7 Tips To Increase Engagement With Your Social Media Followers
January 18, 2022
in Social Media
Social media is an excellent resource for writers to engage with our target audience. Whether our focus is on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube or whatever the latest social media craze is, for writers, engaging with our audience is a must.
But how? How do we get our social posts to stand out among the millions that are out there? More importantly, how can we reach our intended target audience?
Stressing over social media engagement is common for writers. However, by implementing some of these tips listed below, we can have less stress and more engagement with our followers.
- Focus on the social media platform where your target audience is. For example, if your audience is teenage girls, TikTok and Instagram are the go-to platforms. My audience is middle-aged women, so I focus more on Facebook and Instagram.
- Post consistently. If you are only posting once in a while, your engagement will fall drastically. By posting frequently, you will keep your followers engaged and attract new followers.
- Use a social media scheduling tool. There is no need to stress over posting to multiple accounts. Scheduling tools such as Facebook Business Suite, Hootsuite and even Canva help us schedule our social media posts efficiently and effortlessly.
- Know when your audience is most active. Every social media platform provides analytical data that allows us to see when our followers are most active. For example, if your audience is elementary-aged moms, posting at 7:30 a.m. while they are trying to get their children out the door for school isn’t ideal. Research your audience and schedule your posts based on the time your followers are most active.
- Interact with your followers. If someone comments on your post or sends you a direct message, reply to their comment or message in a timely manner. This helps keep your engagement up, and it pleases all the social media algorithms.
- Share more videos. Videos are the hottest trend to hit all social media platforms. By creating a short, 15-to-60-second video, our followers can not only see us but hear us.
- Share some humor. Share a funny meme or a clean joke. A writer I follow shares a Bible verse in the morning, a funny meme in the afternoon and a prayer in the evening. If you are just promoting your writing or lead magnet all the time, you may lose your audience’s attention.
What is one thing you can do today to increase your engagement with your followers? For me, I will be implementing more videos. It can be challenging for me to get in front of the camera; however, I can overcome that fear by providing words of encouragement for my audience.
Missy Eversole is a writer from Morton, Illinois. She is wife to Craig and mom to Grant and Connor. She enjoys family time and the laughter that comes with it. Missy is a contributing blog writer for Proverbs 31 Ministries’ Online Bible Studies, as well as Kingdom Edge Magazine, and is author of Transformed, Not Conformed: Embracing a Life-Changing Approach to Spiritual Habits. She writes about faith and family weekly on her blog at www.missyeversole.com.
3 Ways To Connect With Your Community Through Social Media
February 28, 2023
How To Choose Images and Fonts for Eye-Catching Social Media Graphics
February 14, 2023
How To Create Your First Instagram Reel Without Going Live
January 10, 2023
Love this! As a brand new writer, I felt as if I was sinking in the world of social media. I was spending so much time trying to figure out where to post (Should I blog? Do I need a website? Should I simply stick with FB?…) that I wasn’t spending enough time and attention on writing content. Thank you for the reminder to focus on what I know – at least for now – and post where my target audience is. What a relief!
Oh wow. You just gave me fresh “social media” air to breathe 🙂
Thanks, I certainly need to work on posting more videos.
Great tips, thanks!